Pages

Monday 20 May 2019

The Merchant of Venice- Act 5- Scene 1


Why do Lorenzo and Jessica remind each of the stories of classical lovers?  To express how much they love each other

What are Portia's feelings as she approaches the house? Exciting as she wants to see her husbands expressions when she asks about the ring.

What is the first argument to break out? ‘’By yonder moon, I swear you do me wrong, In faith, I gave it to the judge's clerk’

How do Gratiano and Bassanio try to justify parting with the rings, are they successful? They try telling them that nothing is more precious than their friend's life. And they do not succeed.

Was Bassanio right to give away the ring, give reasons for your thinking. No, he should have denied because he promised his wife he is not taking it out until death.

Complete this quote to show the effect these arguments have on Antonio?  ‘I once did lend my body for his wealth, … I dare be bound again, my soul upon the forfeit that your lord will never more break faith advisedly’

Portia and Nerissa have the rings. What does this prove to Antonio, Gratiano and  Bassanio? they prove their inagents and loyalty as a wife


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.