Pages

Monday 13 May 2019

The Merchant of Venice- Act 4- Line study

  1. A4S1 Line 70-83, Antonio gives us three short images of how useless any attempt by Bassanio to save his life will be
  • What are they?
  1. I pray you, think you question with the Jew.
  2. You may as well use question with the wolf Why he hath made the ewe hath for the lamb.
  3. You may as well do anything most hard, as seek to soften that- than which what's harder?- His Jewish heart.
  • What do they tell us about one of Shakespeare's interests? He likes Idioms.
  • Do you think this is an effective way of demonstrating the problem? Yes, That might tell Bassanio and others how hard is the heart of Shylock.
  • Each example is an extreme and impossible, what influence does this have on how you expect the rest of the scene to develop. My expectations on the development of the scene was that Shylock Would have forgiven Antonio.

  1. A4S1 L90-100, Shylock uses vivid comparisons when he wants to make a point.

  • What example does he use to illustrate the fact that the pound of flesh is his: ‘tis mine and I will have it’? He is really stubborn and he wants his pound of flesh.
  • It is much longer comparison than the three used by Antonio but do you think it is more striking/effective/convincing? Kind of yes because he does not have any money left and he is depressed he will probably sell the flesh to get some money unless he wants to sell his property until further judgements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.