Pages

Friday 10 May 2019

The Merchant of Venice- Act 4- Scene 1



What does the Duke believe Shylock intends to do? he thinks
he will let Antonio off.

What does Shylock intend to do? not answer and cut the flesh
off Antonio.

Finish this quote that tells us why, ‘You’ll ask me why I rather choose to have a weight of carrion flesh, than to receive three thousand ducats. I’ll not answer that, but to say it is my humour, is it answered?’

What two loopholes does Portia find in the wording of the
contract? There shouldn't be a drop of blood on the floor. If it
weighs 1 less or 1 more than 1 pound Shylock dies.

Shylock now has to pay penalties. Complete this quotes that tell us what the penalties are: ‘I pardon thee thy life before thou ask it, For half thy wealth, it is Antonio's, the other half comes to the general state’

Are the penalties fair? no, shylock only wanted to go on with his
bond but everything got turned around.

How do Lorenzo and Jessica gain by the result? they get half of
shylock's property after he dies.

What reward has Portia claimed and why is this significant? the
gloves from Antonio and the rings from Bassanio.

Portia tells Shylock ‘The quality of mercy is not strained’. How
does she try to persuade Shylock to show mercy, how much
mercy is she willing to show him? she is telling her on how God
gives mercy the same applies to human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.