Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2019

Merchant of Venice- Tasks


Vocabulary Find the meanings of the following words:
  • Incision- a surgical cut made in skin or flesh.
  • Renowned- known or talked about by many people (famous)
  • Casket- a small ornamental box or chest for holding jewels, letters, or other valued objects.
  • Fiend- an evil spirit or demon.
  • Impertinent-
    not showing proper respect (rude).
  • Tedious-
    too long, slow, or dull (tiresome or monotonous).
  • Prodigal -
    spending money or using resources freely and recklessly(wastefully extravagant).
  • Garnish-
    decorate or embellish (something, especially food).
Drama-  Choose a scene and rewrite it set in 2019. Think about what sort of location it would suit and what sort of language people would use today to say the same thing. If you want, you can have a go at filming it with some friends!

Act 2- Scene 3

Jessica- I’m sorry you’re leaving my father like this. It’s hell in our house, and you helped cheer it up, like a funny devil. But goodbye. Here’s a ducat for you. You’ll soon be meeting Lorenzo at supper; he’ll be a guest of your new master. Give him this letter. Do it secretly. Goodbye. I don’t want my father to see me talking to you.

Launcelot- Goodbye. My tears show you my feelings, my beautiful pagan, my sweet Jew! I’m sure some Christian will resort to trickery to get you. But goodbye. It’s not manly to cry. Goodbye.

Jessica- Goodbye, Launcelot. Oh God, what a heinous sinner I am, being ashamed to be my father’s child! But I need to remember I’m related to him by blood, not behavior. Oh Lorenzo, if you keep your promise to me, I’ll end this agony by becoming a Christian and marrying you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.