Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Merchant Of Venice- Act 2- Sceane 1


This scene opens with the words ‘Mislike me not for my complexion’ Why does the Prince think Portia will have a problem with his complexion? Because he has dark skin and Portia has lighter skin than Morocco.

In Act 1 if  Antonio loses his gamble, he must forfeit a pound of flesh. What must Portia’s suitors give up if they fail to win her? Never marry anyone else ever in their whole life.

Portia tells the Prince of Morocco- ‘Yourself, renowned prince, then stood as fair as any comer I have looked on yet for my affection’ What does this mean? (if you’re unsure check SparkNotes translation)


Shylock practices ‘usury’. Explain this in your own words? It is practicing how to lend money with interest.

Why do Shylock and Antonio hate each other? Because of their religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.