Pages

Thursday 28 March 2019

The Merchant of Venice- Act 1- Scene 3


Shylock is a moneylender. Does he seem eager to do business with Bassanio? How do you know? No. Because Bassanio, Going through Antonio, Isn't confident he's able to pay it back in time, or at all.

Which does Shylock think is safe, his business or Antonio’s? Why?
His business, Antonio doesn't have the money on hand and his boats
could sink at any second

Why doesn’t Shylock want to dine with Bassanio and Antonio?
Because of their religions. Bassanio and Antonio would most likely
have food that Shylock isn't allowed to eat, due to religion

What strict principal of his is Antonio breaking to help Bassanio?
Never lend or borrow money with interest.

Shylock tells a bible story to prove that the taking of profit is blessed, as long as thieving is not involved. Does he convince Antonio? Give evidence. No. He said it was going by luck

Shylock accuses Antonio of a whole catalogue of nastiness. How does Antonio answer the charges? " Yes I have done it and I'll do it again"

How does Bassanio react to the proposed bond? He disagrees to make Antonio's life in danger for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.