Pages

Tuesday 21 July 2020

Copper Coin Experiment

We are doing an experiment in science today using a copper 10¢ coin. In this experiment, the copper colour should change to silver and than gold.

This is the method we used-
  • clean coin in salt+vinggar solution
  • put 50ml of 2molL+ NaOH into a beaker
  • heat bunsen burner until nearly boiling - stair as heating then take off heat
  • add a spatula of zinc powder
  • heat lightly for 3 min, with a coin in - stir as heating
  • take the coin out with tongs
  • rinse coin under water to remove chunks of zinc.
  • wave coin in the blue flame using tongs.
Observation-
Because of the zinc hydroxide solution, the coin turned to a silver colour and when we waved the silver coin turned to gold colured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.